Paul's 50th Birthday quilt

I started this quilt in September 2017, it actually came together quite quickly That saying "it takes a long time to finish a quilt you are not working on"
I did manage to finish the top in time to give it to him on his birthday - February 2018. But the quilting had to be done afterwards. I took a vector image of the union jack, saved it as a jpg and then imported it into EQ. I then tweaked it so it was cropped the way I wanted it and printed out the pattern. I made this up our of 4 patch blocks and sewed it in sections and then assembled it to make the top.
This was the real test of the home made glue baste. I ended up with  tuck on this quilt on the back. Wasn't too noticeable. If I wasn't so impatient it would have been 100%. Because the glue baste is so wet, I should have left it to dry before moving on to the next section. I could have used a lot more, but was worried it would be too stiff. I tacked around the outside edge to stop those coming loose.
I did the free motion quilting on my Juki TL98.I started in the centre and worked my way out. The cream section was quilted using cream coloured Isocord - Col 0871 I did organic feathers. The red section was done using a dark red thread and I did my favourite - swirls. In the blue - waves going from left to right. It was a challenge working with such a large quilt and all the while I kept thinking wouldn't it be nice to have a long arm..............this would be soooo much easier

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts